The predominantly white Gay Christian Movement Watch knows exactly what is good for all black people in the world – and they are not afraid to say it.
There I was thinking that Christians follow Jesus (who never said a word about homosexuals or homosexuality) because his overwhelming message was one of love, tolerance, inclusiveness and leaving the final arbitration to God.
Reading this Gay Christian Movement Watch [GCM] article, you might be forgiven for thinking that GCM wrote their own Bible and are now disappointed that Ebony Magazine is not waving it with them along their road of cant pontificating.
It is tough stuff and the particularly stomach-churning point is when a white commentator decides that he is qualified to lecture inclusive black churches:
After I became a Christian, I had (and still have) enormous respect for the African-American Christian community for standing strong on traditional Christian morality. The gay community can say its backwards or oppressive or whatever, but I really respect that strong, group-level acceptance of God’s Word. As a man who grew up in PCUSA, I know what happens when a church becomes a social club by abandoning God’s wisdom. So, even though I’m white, I find this sort of thing very sad. Black churches are being pushed to be “tolerant” of a very serious sin, all in the name of “love” or whatever. (Comments)
Even if the parable of the pig wasn’t insulting enough in of itself, it is difficult to see how anyone could be more condescending. Black churches are being pushed to be tolerant? With what are they being pushed? Bulldozers or gay “fornication?” Should we thus assume that inclusive black churches have no minds of their own, have no ability to interpret the Bible and need lectures from white Christians to see the light?
And if you are not going to be tolerant in the name of love, what on earth are you professing to be Christian for?
Check out Darian Aaron’s blog here.
- Homosexuality and homo-sodomy: are we splitting hairs?
- Where Is God In The Black Community/Church? (jenniferkeittpointofview.wordpress.com)
- Black Churches, Gay Marriage and Nuance (theroot.com)
- Hadassah’s Voice: How Christians Can Bridge America’s Racial Divide (faithmilkandhoney.wordpress.com)
- The Gay Debate: The Bible and Homosexuality (slog.thestranger.com)
- Huskers aide: Faith demands anti-gay stance (espn.go.com)
- Boris Johnson faces legal action over banned anti-gay bus adverts (guardian.co.uk)